"The house itself is a fine example of late 1800′s architecture with lovely gardens on the property."
The mansion was originally built for Sara Cox in 1888. Through the years it has been a single family home, a lodge, a bed and breakfast and in 1973, a Montessori School. In August, 2011 the former Montessori students and their teacher came together for a reunion at 17 West Park Avenue.
The mansion originally had 9 fireplaces, 7 of them are being used today. During renovations the Dining room and the blue bedroom fireplaces were discovered behind the walls. The fireplace mantles in the parlor and dining room are original to the house but were painted over with bright green faux marble paint. Some of the beautiful heart pine floors were buried beneath 4 and 5 layers of linoleum. Read more about Gamble in Florida. When excavating work was being done to build the carriage house and courtyard walls, many horse shoes were found, a good indication that there was originally a carriage house at the back of the property.
17 West Park Avenue Savannah Georgia 31401